Mar 27, 2013

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Avocado Cream Sauce and Feta

As I've mentioned before, Marshall and I have made a lot of changes to our diets over the past year. We eat "real" food about 95% of the time and cheat on the other 5%. We are by no means experts in nutrition but are constantly doing research and tweaking our diets as we learn what's best for our bodies.

One of the new foods we've been enjoying lately is quinoa. I love this infographic showing quinoa's health benefits.

Health Benefits of Quinoa
Like rice, quinoa pretty much tastes like whatever you cook it with. If you've been putting off trying quinoa, find a rice dish you already enjoy, and substitute the rice for quinoa. One of our favorites is Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Avocado Cream Sauce and Feta.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Avocado Cream Sauce and Feta

1 C uncooked quinoa
2 C water
4 bell peppers, sliced in half with seeds and membranes removed
1 onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
1 C black beans
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
4 T crumbled feta cheese

For the avocado cream sauce:
1 avocado, pitted and skin removed
1 T lime juice
1 T garlic powder
1 t sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay peppers, cut side down, on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover, and let sit for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.

In a large pan, saute chopped onion until translucent. Add garlic, and cook for one minute longer. Turn off heat and add beans, tomatoes, and cooked quinoa. Mix well.

Mash or puree the avocado with the lime juice, garlic powder, and sea salt.

Spoon the quinoa mixture into the cooked peppers, and top with the avocado cream sauce and feta. These stuffed peppers are just as good leftover!

The avocado cream sauce is also wonderful over spaghetti with some chopped romas and a little parmesan! Who said healthy food couldn't taste good?!

Sharing at:
Savvy Southern Style
House of Hepworths
Tatertots & Jello

No comments:

Post a Comment