Apr 15, 2013

IKEA Magazine File Knock Off



Do you ever refrain from buying something that you don't need and then end up needing it almost as soon as you walk out of the store? That seems to be the story of my life.

I spotted some fabric covered magazine files last year at IKEA that I really liked, but I didn't need them at the time. I do get a few magazines in the mail, but I don't hang onto them for long and didn't need the extra storage.

About two weeks after that trip to IKEA, Marshall accepted his position here as a pastor, and we moved to our current home. Do you know how much mail a pastor gets?! And how many magazines?! I kept thinking to myself that I wished I would have bought those magazine files when I had the chance.

We don't have an IKEA nearby, and even if I did, the magazine files I had my eye on have been discontinued. I was able to find a picture of them on the internet, though, so I decided to make my own.

The inspiration:
IKEA's Kvarnvik Magazine File

We recently ordered some photobooks from MyPublisher (I highly recommend them- much better quality than other photobooks we've ordered!), and the boxes they came in were the perfect size.


I started by cutting the boxes to the shape I wanted.


Then, I laid the box down over some burlap. I cut out around the outline of the box, leaving about an inch extra all the way around.


I hot glued the burlap to the sides of the box and then doubled the edge over and hot glued it to the inside of the box. That gave it a nice, finished look.


And the final product:



So much for discontinued!

No comments:

Post a Comment