Nov 21, 2012

Best.Soup.Ever

I love buying interesting produce.  It's always kind of amusing when the cashier scans my artichokes and says, "What are these?"  The other day, I was in the produce aisle looking over the leeks, and an elderly lady said, "Excuse me, but could you please tell me what that is and what you do with it?"  I gladly told her what leeks taste like and how I use them.  Leeks are fairly new to our kitchen, but we really love them in soups.  My friend introduced me to this mushroom soup a while back, and I found a similar recipe and made a few tweaks.  If you like mushrooms, you'll love this soup!



Creamy Mushroom Soup {click to print}
(adapted from The Food Network)

For the broth:
24 oz. mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced (I've used white and portobello)
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small onion chopped
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 t thyme
6 C water
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

For the soup:
8 oz (1 stick) butter
2 leeks, chopped
mushroom caps left over from the broth
1/4 C flour
1 t thyme
1 T parsley
1 C vegetable broth
1 C milk
1 C Greek yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
Add the mushroom stems, carrot, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper, and saute until the vegetables are soft.
Add the water, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Strain the vegetables out, reserving the liquid.
You should now have about 4 1/2 C broth.  If not, add water.



In a large stockpot, melt the butter on medium heat.
Add the leeks, and cook just until they start to turn brown.
Add the mushroom caps, and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the flour, and cook for 1 minute.
Add the thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, and broth, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Turn the heat to low, and add the milk and yogurt.  Do not allow to boil.
Not only is this soup fantastic fresh, but it freezes well, too!






4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy (and a lot healthier than most Cream of Mushroom soup recipes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it, I hope you like it! I like to think it's fairly healthy. :)

      Delete
  2. I love being your friend, Emily :) and thank you so much for being so thoughtful today. You are a blessing in my life! So thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feeling is mutual! I'm thankful for you... and your soup!

      Delete