Jul 17, 2012

DIY Magnets

You know how I said I'd make magnets someday for the chalkboard?  Well, that someday came about two minutes later.  I had one of those light bulb moments and made some pretty little magnets in about 5 minutes. They're that easy!  And I had everything I needed at home- even better!


I used some left over rolled fabric flowers (see this post for the how to) and some ruffled, rolled fabric flowers.  The ruffled kind are super easy to make, too.  I use my sewing machine to make the ruffle, but you could do this by hand if you don't have a machine.  My strip of fabric was about 1" x 20".  If you want a larger flower, increase the length but not the width of the fabric.


To make your ruffle, turn your tension to the highest setting and your stitch length to the longest stitch.



Sew your fabric with 1/4" seam.  See how it gathers in the back?


Hot glue your ruffle from the center out.  Place a dab of glue along the seam edge as you wrap the ruffle around.


Your flower should look like this from the front.


You could buy some magnets with adhesive on the back if you want, but I had one on my refrigerator that came with a Pizza Hut order.  I just cut it into pieces and hot glued one to the back of the flower.



I hot glued a button to the front of the flower to cover up the seam.


I also hot glued some magnets to the backs of my left over rolled fabric flowers.


I love how they turned out and might even make some for my refrigerator!














No comments:

Post a Comment