Jul 31, 2012

First Impressions

We all know that first impressions are pretty important, whether it's landing a new job, meeting that special someone, or having dinner guests over.  When we first moved to our current home, the inside needed so much work that I completely neglected the outside.  After a few months, I suppose I got used to its appearance and didn't give it much thought.


We've had quite a few guests over the past several months and will be having more in the future, and I suddenly became aware of how dingy the entrance to our home looked.  The door was a very pale color and showed every little smudge.  I had tried scrubbing it, but that didn't help much.  The brown carpet at the bottom of the steps seemed to collect all kinds of dirt and grime, and the walls were covered in cobwebs.  It was time for a makeover!


The entrance to our home is at the bottom of a stairwell in a garage, so livening it up was a bit of a challenge. All things considered, though, I think it's a vast improvement!  We painted the door the same color that we used in this post, painted the space above the door, made a sign to hang above the door, and laid brick over the ugly carpet in front of the door.  I finally finished my summer seashell wreath (I know, I know... it's almost August...), and the entryway is now complete!


This is the color behind the sign.  If you think you don't have time to take on a project like this, don't lose heart.  I painted the space above the door in between taking waffles off the waffle iron.  If I can do it, you can do it!

Seashell and driftwood wreath... tutorial is coming!


Marshall chiseled bricks to fit in the corner spaces.








No comments:

Post a Comment