Jul 11, 2012

Fabric Flower Monogram Art

I showed off our refinished dresser yesterday, and today we'll take a look at what's sitting on top of it.  I don't know if monograms are really popular right now, or if it's just exciting to me since we've only been married for one year.  Either way, I've been putting our initial on just about everything I make.  I love how this sign turned out, but you could easily change the design from a monogram to just about anything you'd like.  I'm considering flipping mine around and doing a Christmas design or a heart for Valentine's Day... one project at a time!  If you're like me, you enjoy a project that is cheap, easy, and quick.  This one fits the bill!


Step 1: Assemble your sign.  My husband used some trusty Gorilla Glue to join four 5 x 18 inch boards together.



Step 2:  While your boards are drying, whip up some fabric rolled flowers.  There are lots of tutorials online for making them, but you basically cut fabric into strips (mine were roughly 2 inches wide, 14 inches long) and twirl it until it twists in half over itself.  Roll the twisted fabric around, hot gluing as you go.  It sounds weird, but just look it up.  It will make sense once you start!



Step 3:  After my boards were dry, I whitewashed them with some white acrylic paint.

Step 4:  Once the paint is dry, hot glue your flowers to the sign.  If it helps, you can trace out a design in pencil.  I eyeballed mine and adjusted my flowers until it looked just right.



Step 5:  Find a pretty place to display your new art!












No comments:

Post a Comment