Sep 12, 2012

Autumn Burlap Wreath Two Ways

I don't know about you, but I have had autumn on the brain!  I love all of the seasons, but I'm a firm believer that variety is the spice of life.  I'm ready for a change!  It's not far off, and after a hot, dry summer, it will be a welcome sight.

I've also been loving burlap.  It is cheap, easy to work with, and versatile.  Marshall attended an auction this summer and bought me 12 burlap feed bags for $1.  I am such a blessed girl!  If you don't happen to have 12 burlap bags lying around the house, you can find some burlap here.



You will need:
1 wire wreath form
burlap- 1/2 yd should cover a 12 inch frame, depending on how much you "scrunch"
orange and red artificial flowers OR fabric rolled flowers

Begin by cutting your burlap into 4 inch wide strips.

Weave your strip over and under the wire rungs, as shown.
Push each row of burlap up, and weave the strip back across the form.  Be sure to tuck all the ends in.
Your finished wreath should look like this.
Cut your artificial flowers off an inch below the petals.  
Hot glue them to the burlap in a cluster.

I made a second wreath with fabric rolled flowers and loved how it turned out, too.  If you've never made a fabric rolled flower before, it's very easy.  You can use any length of fabric; longer makes a fatter flower, and shorter makes a smaller one.  I usually keep the width between 1 and 2 inches.



Holding one end with one hand, twist the other end as tightly as possible, making sure the right side of the fabric is on the "outside" of the twist.



Allow the twist to double over and twist around itself.



Beginning with the folded or looped end, hot glue the twist around.  Glue the ends on the back side of the flower.



Make several of these flowers in a variety of colors and sizes.  Arrange them on your wreath, and hot glue them in place.


I'm linking up to It's Fall Ya'll: Outdoor Decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment