Sep 27, 2012

Driftwood Pennant Banner

I've discovered something about myself recently.  I have a tendency to start a project, start and finish a second (third, fourth, fifth...) project before the first one is finished, and then come back to the first project months later.  For example, I starting making a quilt in January, and it still isn't finished.  However, I have started and finished several other quilts and numerous other sewing projects.  Why is that?  Boredom, maybe.  You can only sit and hand-quilt for so many hours in a row.  Someday, I will finish my quilt.  I just know it.

Well, today, I finished a project.  At the beginning of summer, I mentioned to my husband that I wanted to make a pennant banner.  I was envisioning something weathered, beachy, and summery.  He promptly went down to the beach, picked out a cool piece of driftwood, cut it into triangular pieces, and drilled holes in all the pieces for hanging.  And the pieces sat for months.  He ended up storing them away for "someday."  That someday was today.

I posted pictures of a little vignette on one of our dressers the other day, and as soon as I took the pictures, I knew I wanted to hang a banner over the mirror.  After some searching, Marshall found the driftwood pieces, and I pulled out my cheap, acrylic paint.


I chose "autumn," but I'm thinking about making a "thanksgiving" one... for Thanksgiving.  Sometimes, I am incredibly original.


Marshall sanded across the letters very lightly with 220 grit, and I strung some twine through the pieces and hung the banner on the mirror.  So easy!


{free printable art, burlap & acorn bouquet tutorial, DIY  framed magnetic chalkboard}

It would also look great on a fireplace.  Ours is fake, so I usually try to draw the eye upward and away from the peeling faux brick.  There is only so much you can do when you don't own your home...

{fabric flower monogram, burlap & button autumn art, free printable}

You get the idea, though, right?


It was so simple to make, but I love how it spiced up the mirror a bit!  Sometimes, it's the little things...


Fall Party

No comments:

Post a Comment