Oct 10, 2012

A Special Gift for a Special Delivery

My sister is having her first baby soon, and I am SO excited!  Being an aunt is one of my favorite things.  There is something so nice about having little ones to cuddle and play with without actually having to give birth.

I wanted to make something meaningful and special for the baby.  I thought about my other nieces and nephews and the kind of baby gift that was meaningful for them.  Three of them were given either a blanket or quilt at birth that has become almost a part of their identity.  Anyone who is close to them at all knows which blankie belongs to each child.  Those blankies go everywhere and cannot be slept without.  So, I decided to make a baby quilt.

My sister and brother-in-law decided not to find out the gender ahead of time, so I looked for fabric that was clearly "baby" but not too gender specific.  I skipped the batting and opted for a flannel backing.  It is so soft and warm but still lightweight enough to be carried around by a toddler.  Best of all, it came together in just a couple of hours.  It is by far the easiest quilt I've made yet.  You can find the pattern, "Lap Quilt 'In a Jiffy'," at Moda Bake Shop.  The only change I made was to leave off the border.  A baby quilt doesn't need to be that large, but if you are making a lap quilt, go for it.


I used one of the fun stitches on my sewing machine for the quilting.  I love the little details!


I found all my fabric, including the flannel, at Ben Franklin.  Sam was a huge help as I looked for non-gender specific prints and patterns.  I'd say it was a success!

If you like what you see, we'd love for you to subscribe to our blog!  For those of you who follow via Facebook, please consider subscribing; we'd like to phase out the posting of our blog posts as our status updates.  Subscribing is free and easy, and each new post will go straight to your inbox.  Simply enter your e-mail address in the "Follow by E-mail" box at the top right corner of this page.  Then go to your e-mail and confirm your subscription.  It's that easy!


Sharing at:

No comments:

Post a Comment