Jan 11, 2013

Earl Grey Cake

I am not a hot tea drinker.  I did, however, marry into a family that really, really loves it.  Marshall has told me several times that real tea snobs like Earl Grey tea.  So when I stumbled upon this recipe for Earl Grey cake, I knew exactly who I wanted to make it for.


It just so happens that my wonderful mother-in-law celebrated her birthday last Saturday, and season three of Downton Abbey began on Sunday.  Talk about reasons to celebrate!  It seemed really appropriate to enjoy our tea-flavored cake while catching up with our British friends.


Earl Grey Cake
{click to print}

Ingredients:
2 Earl Grey tea bags
1/4 C boiling water
1/3 C milk
7 T butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2/3 C white sugar
1 1/4 C cake flour

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8-inch cast iron skillet, and coat it with sugar (You can "flour" a pan with sugar for just about any recipe.  It prevents sticking and tastes good!).


Cut the tea bags open and empty the leaves into a glass measuring cup.  Add the boiling water and let sit for three minutes.  Add the milk.


Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.  Reduce the mixer speed to medium, and add eggs, one at a time.

Reduce the speed to low.  Add one third of the tea mixture and then one third of the flour.  Continue alternating the tea mixture and flour until the batter is evenly mixed.

Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Wait until the cake is completely cooled before frosting.  I used a basic cream cheese frosting, and it paired well with the dense cake.

(adapted from Raspberri Cupcakes)


HookingupwithHoH

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! My in-laws visit this weekend, and I wanted to make a special meal for my FIL, but was stumped on dessert. He only drinks Earl Grey, so yay! Perfect timing, Em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope he likes the cake! I really liked it, and all of the tea drinkers could really taste the Early Grey in it. I should have mentioned that if you don't have a skillet that small, you can use a regular cake pan. Baking times may vary a little with different pans.

      Delete
  2. Did you strain the tea leaves out of the water/milk mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Just pour the entire mixture right into the batter. The tea leaves didn't make any difference in the texture of the cake since it's so dense.

      Delete