Aug 30, 2012

Dresser Redo and a Hidden Surprise

Do you remember when I showed you my next painting project?  Well, it never happened.  I never liked that shelf to begin with.  Even though everything was neatly stacked, it still seemed so cluttered and exposed.  I wanted something with drawers and a larger space for the printer.  So, the hunt for a dresser began.

It didn't take too long before this beauty showed up on Craigslist for $45. 




FORTY FIVE DOLLARS!  I think the previous owner thought he was really getting a lot more than it was worth, but the "after" pictures prove that the real bargain was ours!




The dresser is real wood (dovetailed!) but covered in veneer.  Since the veneer was in good shape, we decided to just leave it on and paint over it.  We started with our favorite Cover Stain primer from Zinsser (no sanding necessary) and then painted the dresser white.  We were able to keep the original hardware, and I love how the pulls really pop against the white.



The pulls match the hardware on the mirror.


I'm also a big fan of keyholes, and all four of them were in great shape!






I'd just like to point out that everything on the dresser came from a thrift or junk shop except for the lampshade (Target) and the yellow flowers, which I made.  I love that.

This dresser is the new home of my fabric, felt, and batting stash.  The gray dresser that was in this spot is now in our "office" and holds our printer paper, extra cords, etc.  I think this may be my new favorite...

But WAIT!  There's more!

I found these inside one of the dresser drawers while I was painting, and I think they're pretty cool.


This is a receipt from Vern's Variety in Storm Lake, IA dated April 25, 1974.  I suppose if you were alive then, it doesn't seem so cool.


I believe this is a check that was written to Vern's Market.  The date on it is September 15, 1956.  You can see in the bottom picture where it was stamped for deposit.

I'm really curious to know where this dresser came from and how it ended up here, but I'll probably never know.  It's kind of fun to think about who the previous owners were (and how shocked and dismayed they'd be if they could see that I painted their dresser...).

Oh, the joys of used furniture!









No comments:

Post a Comment