Aug 9, 2012

Sweet Summer Pasta Salad

Honestly, pasta salads don't tempt me much.  They all taste the same to me: bland.  Still, pasta salads are nice to make ahead for an evening of grilling or even to take to a potluck or on a picnic.


I was in need of a side for dinner the other night, and this is what I came up with.  It's sweet and yummy, and Marshall said, "Wow!  That's really good.  It's not like anything I've tasted before."  Mission accomplished.  I found out later that he doesn't usually like pasta salads either.




You will need:
8 oz. penne, cooked according to the directions on the box
1 C shredded cheese
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 can of black olives, sliced (about 30)
4-5 mushrooms, chopped
3 green onions, diced
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced


Dressing:
1 C mayo
1/2 C sugar
2 T vinegar


Step 1: Mix together the mayo, sugar, and vinegar in a large bowl and toss in the cooked, cooled noodles.
Step 2: Add 1 C shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack).
Step 3: Add the tomatoes, black olives, mushrooms, and green onions and mix well.
Step 4: Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Step 5: When ready to serve, add the avocados.


If you have picky eaters (or if that's YOU), just set up a pasta salad bar!  Mix together the noodles, cheese, and dressing, and let people add whichever veggies they would like.  I bet bacon would be really great on this, too!  Try it and let me know what you think!


Click here for a printable version.






No comments:

Post a Comment